March 24, 2011

Unread Interview: RG Cordiner



Welcome R.G. Cordiner for this week's "Unread Interview".
Unread Interview is a series where I feature authors whose books I couldn't accept for review because of time or logistics issues.


From Amazon: They destroyed the mighty Mayan Empire. What hope for a few shipwrecked survivors?
A South American cruise. It should have been a once in a lifetime experience. And it was. But not in the way they imagined. Barely surviving a horrific shipwreck, the remaining passengers have to try and cope with finding food, water, shelter, let alone the constant arguments. 
And then there are the bugs. Not the sort that you squish and then get on with your day. Oh no. Toe biters, pond skaters, assassin bugs and harvestmen that drop down on top of their victims – all of these could be found in your garden. But on this lost island they are all at least twenty times their normal size. Trapped on an island with a six metre long giant centipede with armoured plates was not on the cruise itinerary. Now all they want is to get off – without being squished! 
Also available on paperback at Amazon and The Book Depository (with free shipping worldwide)



1. Tell us a bit about your book (s).

I have written 3 middle grade novels:

Treasure Lost is a rollicking pirate adventure involving 2 brothers and a giant reticulated python!
Bug Island is the story of a group of shipwrecked passengers who have to try and survive an island full of giant bugs, including a 6 metre long centipede!
Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King involves a brother and his sister who find themselves caught in a battle between the tooth fairies and an army of candy creatures!

2. Have you ever wanted to be a writer? When did you start writing "seriously"?

I always was interested in writing but it wasn't until I started teaching that I started to write seriously.  The lack of exciting, contemporary books for kids led me to try and write.

3. Do you read much? What kind of books do you usually read?

I don't read anywhere near as much as I would like as I use any spare time I have for writing.  However, when I do read I like fantasy, such as Terry Pratchett, or books with a comedic slant, Ben Elton for example.


4. What are your favorite or least favorite scenes to write?

I love writing scenes involving action and cliffhangers - changing to a different scene just at a key moment.  I find the beginning of a story sometimes difficult to write as I am keen to get to the action!


5. Do you relate more to any of your characters? Why?

Only in an aspirational sense - I like to live vicariously through them.


6. Which genre do you feel it would be a challenge to write?

Romance

7. What inspires you? And how's your writing environment - music, place, etc.?

My wife.  I try and get up at 4am to write and then about 5:30 it is time to get ready to go to school (I teach 7 year olds)


8. What would you say about the book - your words, no blurbs! - to convince someone to read your book?

If you want to read an exciting adventure, try one of my books!


9. What are your plans for the future, writing-wise? New books, sequels, publishing deals, etc.

I am currently writing Candy Wars II: Sweet Revenge




Good luck R.G. with your books and any new ones you're writing. Thank you for your time!