April 07, 2011

Unread Interview: German Alcala



Please welcome German Alcala for this week's Unread Interview! Mark is the author of several poetry and fiction books. German is also a rolemodel and I'm a bit jealous of him. He's a gay 14 year old boy with several published ebooks that deal with several deep themes, some dark, some light, but always pretty deep. You can check all of his work on his Smashwords profile. His latest book is The Tit's Quadrilogy, although he will soon release Swing: A Pyschopathy and that's why he's here, to talk to you about him and his book ;)

Unread Interview is a series where I feature authors whose books I couldn't accept for review because of time or logistics issues.
From Smashwords, The TIT's QuadrilogyAll three poetry books of The Tits Trilogy. The Witch's Tits, The Vampire's Tits, and The Demon's Tits including the new collection The Predator's Tits. These 68 poems that show how the human mind can snap focus on rage, depression, suicide, rape, murder, drug abuse, child abuse, death, loss, domestic abuse, satanic worship, heartbreak, and alcoholism. Written only for the stable minded.


1. Tell us a bit about your book (s).
My books are mostly poetry that deal with any subject I was thinking of up until now. Most recently my books have taken a very dark turn into the T.I.Ts (Totally Inevitable Tragedies) Quadrilogy which is a collection of poetry books that center around death, suicide, rape, and everything dark. My newest book that I’m getting ready to toss into the eBook World is “Swing: A Psychopathy” which centers on horrific rape, suicide, murder, homosexuality, insanity, and crime. However, I have unpublished works that deal with fantasy and vampires which I have always loved. One book I’ve been working on for four years is about vampires.

2. Have you ever wanted to be a writer? When did you start writing "seriously"?
I’ve always wanted to be a writer. I don’t remember ever wanting to be anything else. I’ve always had acting and singing in my mind, but writing has always been something that I knew I was going to do. I’ve always taken writing pretty seriously, but I think my most seriously ambitious writing started around 4 or 5 years ago when I was nine and I wrote a collection of short stories one of which would be the map for the vampire book I’ve been working on for four years. I felt very serious when I would write every day for at least five hours while working on “Swing: A Pyschopathy”.

3. Do you read much? What kind of books do you usually read?
I can’t find time to read every single day, but every other night I open a book up. Right now for some reason I’ve been reading non-fiction history books a lot. I also have Dan Brown’s “The Lost Symbol” waiting for me. I’ve always taken very well to edgy books and psychological adventures which is why Jackie Collins, Dan Brown, and Edgar Allan Poe are my most favorite writers of all time.

4. What are your favorite or least favorite scenes to write?
My favorite scenes to write are probably the scenes that excite the reader such as when a character is running away from the killer, the killer is killing, and car chases with a tasteful explosion thrown in. All of which are in my next book “Swing: A Pyschopathy”. My least favorite scenes would have to be stuck between rape and love scenes. Rape is just a topic that is reasonably apprehensible, and it takes me about two very depressing days to get one rape scene done. Love scenes make me feel bitter and jealous seeing as I’ve had my heart broken for the first time this year, but I’m sure to grow out of it whenever I fall in love a second time. Both of which kind are scattered around my next book “Swing A Pyschopathy” as well!

5. Do you relate more to any of your characters? Why?
I relate a lot to my some characters in their devotion to somebody they love which is just tragic, and also in the type of things they say or like. Such as in “Swing: A Psychopathy” one character likes reading about religion to decide what he’ll follow later in life, and then another character doesn’t know whether a boy he likes is gay or not. It’s actually difficult for me to make characters I can’t relate to. So, they take on very different back stories, and like some things that I hate… like killing… which can all be found in “Swing: A Pyschopathy”!

6. Which genre do you feel it would be a challenge to write?
Mystery. I would never be able to do mystery or else I would work the plot into a corner, and I’d feel like an idiot. I like putting mysteries into my books, but a whole Who-Done-It would be the most difficult book ever, I think.

7. What inspires you? And how's your writing environment - music, place, etc.?
I’m inspire by almost all authors who are able to write a story, and leave it to journey into the coming years. I write on a computer or on a desk between two bookcases in my room. The computer is always playing music. It’s Blues or Metal when I’m writing poetry, but I also play a huge music library while I write anything that’s not poetry. For example right now I have Britney Spears playing, and when I wrote most of “Swing: A Pyschopathy” I had Delphic, Shakira, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, and Adele playing most of the time.

8. What would you say about the book - your words, no blurbs! - to convince someone to read your book?
I would say that it is a twisted fiction of horrific rape, suicide, murder, homosexuality, insanity, and crime that would lead them to cheer on, despise, and even feel for sorry for the villains. “Swing: A Pyschopathy” will drag you into an entertaining yet sadistic dark state of mind.

9. What are your plans for the future, writing-wise? New books, sequels, publishing deals, etc.
Well, after “Swing: A Pyschopathy” is out it will be followed by some short stories which are all meant to spook people, and give them bad mental trips after which I’ll publish some poetry anthologies whilst I shop around the novel I’ve been working on for four years. After I’ve shopped my book around, and I wait for literary agents to contact me I’ll work on my next books which are all in a vault I don’t dare tell anybody about just yet. I’m confident that the future holds six figure publishing deals, printed books, and many years of doing what I love most in the world: Writing! It’s a dream that has become a plan.

Thank you German for your time and best of luck with your books! Look forward to seeing them in Brazil aswell ;)